• 1561 ~ Jacopo Peri, Italian composer
More information about Peri
• 1882 ~ Tchaikovsky’s “1812 Overture” first performed in Moscow.
• 1923 ~ Jim (James Travis) Reeves, American country singer and actor
• 1926 ~ Frank Rosolino, Musician: trombone, played with Stan Kenton, Harold Land, Bob Cooper, Clarke-Boland Big Band
• 1927 ~ Joya Sherrill, Singer
• 1931 ~ Frank Capp, Musician, drummer with the big jazz band, Capp-Pierce Juggernaut
• 1935 ~ Justin Tubb, Singer, Ernest Tubb’s son
• 1939 ~ Orrin Tucker’s orchestra recorded Oh, Johnny, Oh, Johnny, Oh!, on Columbia Records.
• 1942 ~ Issac Hayes, Grammy and Academy Award-winning American rhythm-and-blues singer, songwriter and arranger
• 1947 ~ Jim Pankow, Trombonist, songwriter with Chicago
• 1948 ~ Robert Plant, British rock singer with Honeydrippers and composer
• 1951 ~ Phyl Lynott, Musician: bass, singer with Thin Lizzy
• 1952 ~ Doug Fieger, Musician, guitar, singer with The Knack
• 1952 ~ Rudy Gatlin, Singer with The Gatlin Brothers
• 1969 ~ Andy Williams received a gold record for the album Happy Heart on Columbia Records.
• 1977 ~ Best of My Love, by the Emotions, topped the pop charts. It had a number one run of four weeks.
• 2001 ~ Frank C. “Papa” Mangione, father of jazz musicians Chuck and Gap Mangione, died at age 91.
Mangione worked at Eastman Kodak Co., ran a grocery store for about two decades and returned to the photography company until his retirement in 1975. For the next 15 years, he sold music and merchandise on worldwide tours with his more famous son, Chuck, a flugelhorn ace.
A son of Italian immigrants, Mangione’s childhood was chronicled by his brother, Jerry, in a best-selling 1942 memoir called “Mount Allegro: A Memoir of Italian American Life.”
Three of Chuck Mangione’s songs, 60 Miles Young, 70 Miles Young and Papa Mangione, were dedicated to his father.
• 2013 ~ Marian McPartland, British jazz pianist (Marian McPartland’s Piano Jazz), died at the age of 95
• 2016 ~ Irving Fields, American composer and pianist (Miami Beach Rhumba), died at the age of 101