• 1545 ~ John Taverner, English composer (Western Wynde), died at about the age of 55
• 1893 ~ Charles F Gounod, French composer (La reine the Saba), died at the age of 75
• 1898 ~ Lotte Lenya (Karoline Blamauer), Austrian actress and Tony Award-winning singer
1898 ~ Shin’ichi Suzuki, Japanese educator and violin teacher
More information about Suzuki
• 1918 ~ Bobby Troup, American jazz pianist and actor (Emergency, Acapulco)
• 1926 ~ Chuck (Charles Edward Anderson) Berry, Rock and Roll Hall of Famer inducted in 1986, Lifetime Achievement Grammy (1985)
Washington Honored Eastwood, Baryshnikov, Berry (2000)
• 1935 ~ Victor record #25236 was recorded by Tommy Dorsey and orchestra. It would become one of the most familiar big band themes of all time, I’m Getting Sentimental Over You.
• 1943 ~ Russ Giguere, Guitarist, singer with The Association
• 1947 ~ Laura Nyro, Singer
• 1952 ~ Keith Knudsen, Drummer singer with The Doobie Brothers
• 1979 ~ Following extensive renovation to return Radio City Music Hall to the look and feel of its 1931 art deco glory, the venerable New York City theatre reopened. “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” was the first live presentation.
• 1983 ~ Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton received a gold record to add to their collections for their smash, Islands in the Stream.